Thursday, September 29, 2011

Grief Sweater

Basically, I have been walking around like a woman with no hope. No happiness.
I was wearing my Grief.
Toting it around and showing it the city. I would securely place it on my shoulders to start my day. Hell, I even curled up next to it in bed. Grief. I couldn't get enough of it. Like an addict, I would seek out other avenues of unhappy thoughts and actions just so I could keep my Grief around.
This makes me ashamed of myself. And don't' think that thought didn't help to keep Grief by my side. Cause it did.
On the outside I imagine I looked the same. Maybe my smile was a little forced. Maybe my eyes weren't as bright. But the same.
Something amazing happened about a week ago. I decided to take off the Grief Sweater. (I named it so that I could get rid of it)
I "hung" it up. Had to. My life was screaming at me to be lived and to live it happy and in the light.
I have two babies! Most would argue they need me. Also, I missed me. I missed my friends and my family. When you wear the Grief Sweater, no one appears to be who they were before. It changes your outlook on the world.
So I am thankful I can proclaim that I have escaped the dark. It calls to me still. But I'm not worried. If I ever visit again, I know the way out.

4 comments:

yrautca said...

Its good that you know your way out. But we all have the ups and downs. And we can overcome the downs through self evaluation and time and wisdom.

Anyway, I think you are a very strong person and have it together. Maybe you are too hard on yourself sometimes.

The Shib said...

B. I heart you. Im so glad you hung it up. Especially since our convo the other night was HI-larious!

berly02 said...

Oh Yrautca! I know I am hard on myself. But no one else has ever been hard on me. :)

Shib - our convos are always the best!

Phil said...

Absolutely. Our mood isn't something that just happens to us. You can pick out your mood, like a sweater you put on every day when you get up. Grief is ok, but it has it's time. Today you can choose any mood you want to have.