Wednesday, February 28, 2007

How come?

"How come I have to go to bed? It's still light outside!"
"Because it's eight o'clock and that is your bedtime," her momma said.
"But there are kids still playing outside!!" she wailed. "Please let me stay up and play . . . *sniffs* . . . please, momma?"
Her momma responds firmly, "Do you want me to tuck you in or not?"

"How come I can't go to Six Flags with Holley?"
"Because you don't have an adult going with you. You could get hurt being alone," her momma advises.
"But EVERYONE else I know gets to go and I never get to do ANYTHING!!" she screams.
Her momma responds firmly, "Take that tone again with me young lady and you really won't be doing anything this summer."

"How come I have to be home so early? I just graduated, Mom."
"Your curfew is midnight so be happy your getting an extra hour," her momma replied.
"God! You are so unfair," she spats, "I am so moving out of here tomorrow."

"How come you can't live with me and we could do everything together?"
"Your married now honey, with a baby coming, you had to grow up and have your own life," her momma sympathizes.
"But I miss you so much, momma," she says choked up, " I wish you were here."

6 comments:

Natalia said...

I think one learns and appreciates parents as one grows. But I still like my own place and not being in their pockets all the time. Although I would move in to have more peace to finish the dissertation.

-N

yrautca said...

The parenthood cycle will go on forever. Once you were on the receiving end and now you are a mom. Now think about how you will be protective of Alivia. You will try to protect her even if that could result in her hating you for the time being. But I know that parents can be suffocating at times too. So you can be the great mom you always wanted. You can be Alivia's friend and at the same time you can be strict with her when she's being foolish.

Courtney O. said...

Aww - so sweet! I do love your madre :) And now I have to go call my own mama and tell her I love her!!!

Lindsey said...

Awww, look at you being so sweet and making the rest of us look like bad daughters.

SS said...

Ah parenthood - it is a selfless job. Hmmmm... perhaps this why I'm not willing to jump into that trap yet ;)

Kat_womanx2 said...

Heyyyyyyyy I wondered what happened to you!! Now I see!! What a beautiful baby !! I've been a little busy and non existant myself and trying to catch up here in the last month...hope to hear from you