Thursday, July 29, 2010

Didn't escape it

Oh lord! I find myself saying things and as soon as they leave my mouth I know I sound just like my mother.
Why does this happen?
I realize I want my kids to act the way my mom wanted me to act.
When I tell the little turds to do something, I expect it to happen.
It doesn't (a lot).
So my reaction is to get angry.
And with that anger comes guilt for trying to mold them into something they aren't.
They need the freedom, and I want to give it to them, to be who they are and figure out life their way. *sigh* Even if that way clashes with my own wishes.
Parenting is tricky.
Their smirks and smiles make it easier though.

3 comments:

Princess Pessimism said...

Isnt it awful....how we turn into our parents. I See it in my sister - who acts like my dad a lot around them. And I helped raise my neices, and had a lot of time with them - so i never saw it in myself...thankfully.

But i do see it with other things in my life.

Lindsey said...

I find myself telling Colby, "Because I said so" fairly frequently. Sigh. It happens.

And you're not trying to mold them into someone they're not...you're giving them the skill set to be good, responsible adults. Keep at it!

AA said...

true, and it's a cycle. years from now, your kids will be thinking and feeling the same thing. :)

would you mind checking mine out at http://www.listenthenspeak.blogspot.com

thanks :)