Thursday, February 17, 2005

Negative Nelly

I remember going to school one morning with my mom when I was like seven or eight. I can't remember if I was in second or third grade.
Anyhoo, it was the third or fourth morning that my mom and I were fighting as soon as we got into the car. Don't ask me to recall what we were fighting about, I was seven! Before I got out of the car my mom looked at me and with pleading eyes, she asked me if we could try not being so negative and instead be happier when we are around each other. "Let's actually try to enjoy each other"

You see, my mom had just got remarried at this point and I wasn't receptive to the new life at the time.
And just like that, our relationship got better. We still fought of course, but even at that young age my mom reasoned with me and called me out on my attitude and her own. We were being negative nellys, she says. So our attitudes changed and we began having fun.
We started a Thursday night date night. She would take me somewhere, just the two of us. Dinner, movie, anything. I looked forward to those Thursdays.

I wish I could have one of those Thursdays more than anything right now. I miss my mom terribly. I feel so lost. And I feel so negative. I feel like everyone around me is negative.
And I have no idea how to fix it or even make it a little better.


1 comment:

sv4494 said...

My dearest Kimberly what seems to be the trouble?? Why all the neg. feelings? Is there something I can help with? As "mom" would say "it's all going to be o.k." Whatever it is that you are struggling with, I'm here if you need me. It would take my mind off my up coming hospital visit.
I love you!! you big sis