Sunday, September 25, 2005

Rita Blows

A bunch of college kids painted that on a huge piece of plywood and stuck it in their front yard. I live in a college town.
The college town that all the evacuees from south Houston where told to go. My roommate's family is from the south Houston area. We had eight adults, one child, one pug dog, and two cats in 1100 square foot, three-bedroom apartment for three days.
I have never appreciated alone time as much as I do now.
The good thing, they didn't have to go home to destruction as they first thought they would.
But I have to be honest. I was in a mood for most of the time they were here. It wasn't that I didn't want to help them, or even that my house felt invaded. I kinda like playing uber fabulous hostess. It was that two days went by before any of them actually thanked my hubby and me. And really, I understand that you are stressed out and don't know what awaits you in a few days after Rita has blown through, but we weren't even asked. It was not an option for us to tell you no. And you take two days to say thank you??
Ok, I just sound bitchy now.
It really wasn't so bad. I got drunk a lot.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

I don't blame you one bit. How incredibly rude...if not for your hospitality, they could have had NO WHERE to go or had to pay for a hotel room for lord knows how long. They needed to get some manners. I hope they at least helped you around the house.

berly02 said...

What they did was leave white bread, oj and a dirty floor. But I'm pretty sure it counts as my good deed for the month. So that is a plus.

Courtney O. said...

There were lots of hurricaners in College Station! We drove through on our way to Brownwood, and ended up in even more traffic getting to Heairne from CS. SUCK! And do you see now why we didn't stay with you. It's way too much to ask somebody to put us up for several days! We seriously did almost call you to see if we could nap on your couch though, before we continued our trek to Brownwood! Thanks again for the offer though :)

Pheebs said...

thanks for the vote of confidence on my blog! :)

with that said, I'm glad you said that out loud! So many times, I've had the same thoughts and naturally assumed that I was evil but no one said that the price of helping others came free! It's human to resent inconvenient changes in the life you're used to!

Pheebs said...

P.S. the plywood with caption would have made me laugh...bad timing...but witty nonetheless...!

Natalia said...

Really drunk can be really good ever so often, eh?

Anonymous said...

Berle, I'm disappointed. The sign actually said "Rita, Blow Me". And I have my phone pic to prove it. I too had an old friend that I hadn't spoken to in 5 years call me up (she found my cell on an email from 5 yrs ago) and stay on my couch Thursday nite. But she was gone in 8 hrs. I feel for ya ladie.