Monday, December 27, 2004

Cleaning out my closet

So sometimes, when I am in a bad mood or a friend has recently pissed me off in some odd way that they probably don't know they have anyway, I think about how my friends are like the clothes in my closet.
And wouldn't it be weird if you could clean out your relationships. Kinda like your closet when you realize not much suits your style anymore and your really never gonna fit into the jeans you have been saving for "one day when [your] smaller", tie dye has been out for years, and maybe holes aren't the way to go for t-shirts these days.
You would keep the one friend that is your good pair of athletic shoes, the one that you might not talk to every day or even every week but is always there and you know you are gonna need her at some point.
Then there is the comfy sweat pants. The friend that gets you through the daily grind. Constant contact, knows everything (or enough anyway) about you, and could make any decision for you.
Of course you would keep a couple pair of dress shoes that are fun and sassy. Those would be the friends you cut loose with, act crazy and wild, and laugh with all the time.
You wouldn't throw out your "good shirt" either. The one you wear no matter what size you are and looks good with everything. That is the friend that can be any type of friend you may need at that moment. She will bitch with you, cry with you, listen, talk, drink, be sober, eat, laugh, tell crazy stories, share memories, be reserved, meet your family, get along with all your other friends, and you won't have to put a lot of time in, you both know that you are there, just call or come over.
I really love all my friends. As I get older, I find it harder to be such a good friend to everyone. And it saddens me that I may hurt someone's feelings because of my thoughtlessness. I apologize ahead of time for those I have hurt. And I hope those friends I have lost will remember that I am so grateful to have had time with them at all.

No comments: